Freelance writer: June 2018 – present
Debtwire: New York City, N.Y.
Assistant Editor: August 2016 – June 2018
- Help manage a desk of six reporters and edit at least two weekly publications.
- Lead creation of a publication style guide.
- Coordinate and post weekly podcasts and monthly webinars.
- Current beats: Puerto Rico and its entities, municipal utilities, tobacco.
- Prior beats include: Michigan general obligation debt including the Detroit bankruptcy, Illinois general obligation debt, development districts, tax allocation bonds, transportation, public-private partnerships.
Senior Reporter: January 2013 – August 2016
- Assist in new reporter and intern training regarding software and reporting standards.
Reporter: June 2012 – January 2013
- Write daily reports on distressed municipal debt
- Coordinate a team of three reporters and one analyst on Puerto Rico debt coverage including research reports, breaking news and longer form enterprise pieces
- Other beats include water, wastewater and power utilities, ports, toll roads, public-private partnerships and other municipal infrastructure.
- Previous responsibilities include: leading reporting on Detroit bankruptcy coverage including on-the-ground coverage of some court proceedings and enterprise pieces, tax allocation bonds, general obligation debt in Georgia and Illinois and development districts.
Argus Media Inc.: Houston, Texas Bureau
Reporter: January 2012 – June 2012
- Assess the value of gasoline and distillates in the Midwest and Chicago Markets
- Write daily reports explaining price changes and market movements
- Breaking news reporting for ethanol and biodiesel markets
- Contribute to a weekly report of fuel shipments from Latin and South America
Bloomberg L.P.: New York City, N.Y. Bureau
Reporting Intern: September 2011 – December 2011
- General assignment reporting for the insurance and financial desks
- General assignment reporting for the Bloomberg Government website
The Buffalo News: Circulation 165,500 weekday, 248,000 Sunday. Buffalo, N.Y.
Financial Reporting Intern: June 2011 – September 2011
- General assignment reporting for the Business Desk
- Pitched several front page articles including a multi-section Sunday package
Midland Daily News: Circulation 16,500 weekday, 18,000 Sunday. Midland, Mich.
Stringer: December 2010 – June 2011
- Write and pitch general assignment articles
- Beats: Jerome Township, Homer Township, Bullock Creek School Board
Dow Corning: Midland, Mich.
Corporate Communications Contractor: April – May 2011
- Managed company intranet, including writing and editing articles
Corporate Communications Intern: July 2010 – January 2011
- Wrote, edited and posted to company intranet
- Recorded and edited video for internal and external promotions
- Communicated with stakeholders through social media
Central Michigan Life: Circulation 13,000. Mount Pleasant, Mich.
Metro Editor: August – December 2010
- Managed a desk of 15 to 20 reporters, publishing three times a week
- Assigned and edited stories from beats including city and county commissions, cops, courts and business
- Posted articles to the web with links and photos
Senior Reporter: January – May 2010
- Generated and wrote at least one story per week on each beat
- Beats: business, Union Township, Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe
Staff Reporter: March 2008 – December 2009; January 2010 – May 2011
- Generate story ideas and write general assignment articles
- Beats: business, student organizations, Mid Michigan Community College
Marx, Layne & Associates: Farmington Hills, Mich.
Public Relations Intern: May – July 2010
- Wrote press releases, media alerts, query letters, media lists, buck slips and fact sheets
- Pitched to media using e-mail and phone calls
- Helped organize and facilitate media coverage opportunities
Mergermarket Emerging Leaders Programme (2014)
Society of American Business Editors and Writers:
- Nominated: “Larry Birger Young Business Journalist Award” (2014, 2017)
Society of American Business Editors and Writers:
- Nominated: general reporting (2013)
Michigan Press Association:
- Third: Multimedia Reporting, “Bringing God to the fight” (2009)
- Third: Investigative Reporting, “Tailgate series” (2009)
Society of Professional Journalists:
- First: General News Reporting, “Tailgate series” (2009)
Central Michigan University: Mount Pleasant, Mich.
August 2007 – August 2011
- GPA 3.59
- Bachelor of Applied Arts; Majors: Integrative Public Relations and Spanish
- Centralis Scholar Scholarship recipient
- Graduate of Honors Program
- International Service Learning, Summer 2008, Oaxaca, Mexico: worked in orphanages with children in child growth and development activities
- Deans List: Fall 2007 – Summer 2008; Summer 2009 – Summer 2011
La Universidad de San Francisco de Quito: Quito Ecuador
May 2009 – August 2009
- Study abroad and travel experience
- Classes in Andean anthropology and public relations
New York Financial Writers Association: Aug. 2013 – June 2018
- Board member: 2014 – 2018
- President: 2017
Society of Professional Journalists: Feb. 2012 – present
Society of American Business Editors and Writers: Feb. 2012 – June 2018