Debtwire: New York City, N.Y.
Reporter: June 2012 – present
- Write daily reports on distressed municipal debt
- Coordinate a team of three reporters and one analyst on Puerto Rico debt coverage including research reports, breaking news and longer form enterprise pieces
- Other beats include water, wastewater and power utilities, ports, toll roads, public-private partnerships and other municipal infrastructure.
- Previous responsibilities include: leading reporting on Detroit bankruptcy coverage including on-the-ground coverage of some court proceedings and enterprise pieces, tax allocation bonds, general obligation debt in Georgia and Illinois and development districts.
Argus Media Inc.: Houston, Texas Bureau
Reporter: January 2012 – June 2012
- Assess the value of gasoline and distillates in the Midwest and Chicago Markets
- Write daily reports explaining price changes and market movements
- Breaking news reporting for ethanol and biodiesel markets
- Contribute to a weekly report of fuel shipments from Latin and South America
Bloomberg L.P.: New York City, N.Y. Bureau
Reporting Intern: September 2011 – December 2011
- General assignment reporting for the insurance and financial desks
- General assignment reporting for the Bloomberg Government website
The Buffalo News: Circulation 165,500 weekday, 248,000 Sunday. Buffalo, N.Y.
Financial Reporting Intern: June 2011 – September 2011
- General assignment reporting for the Business Desk
- Pitched several front page articles including a multi-section Sunday package
Midland Daily News: Circulation 16,500 weekday, 18,000 Sunday. Midland, Mich.
Stringer: December 2010 – June 2011
- Write and pitch general assignment articles
- Beats: Jerome Township, Homer Township, Bullock Creek School Board
Dow Corning: Midland, Mich.
Corporate Communications Contractor: April – May 2011
- Managed company intranet, including writing and editing articles
Corporate Communications Intern: July 2010 – January 2011
- Wrote, edited and posted to company intranet
- Recorded and edited video for internal and external promotions
- Communicated with stakeholders through social media
Central Michigan Life: Circulation 13,000. Mount Pleasant, Mich.
Metro Editor: August – December 2010
- Managed a desk of 15 to 20 reporters, publishing three times a week
- Assigned and edited stories from beats including city and county commissions, cops, courts and business
- Posted articles to the web with links and photos
Senior Reporter: January – May 2010
- Generated and wrote at least one story per week on each beat
- Beats: business, Union Township, Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe
Staff Reporter: March 2008 – December 2009; January 2010 – May 2011
- Generate story ideas and write general assignment articles
- Beats: business, student organizations, Mid Michigan Community College
Marx, Layne & Associates: Farmington Hills, Mich.
Public Relations Intern: May – July 2010
- Wrote press releases, media alerts, query letters, media lists, buck slips and fact sheets
- Pitched to media using e-mail and phone calls
- Helped organize and facilitate media coverage opportunities
Mergermarket Emerging Leaders Programme (2014)
Society of American Business Editors and Writers (2014):
- Nominated: “Larry Birger Young Business Journalist Award”
Society of American Business Editors and Writers (2013):
- Nominated: general reproting
Michigan Press Association (2009):
- Third: Multimedia Reporting, “Bringing God to the fight”
- Third: Investigative Reporting, “Tailgate series”
Society of Professional Journalists (2009):
- First: General News Reporting, “Tailgate series”
Central Michigan University: Mount Pleasant, Mich.
August 2007 – August 2011
- GPA 3.59
- Bachelor of Applied Arts; Majors: Integrative Public Relations and Spanish
- Centralis Scholar Scholarship recipient
- Graduate of Honors Program
- International Service Learning, Summer 2008, Oaxaca, Mexico: worked in orphanages with children in child growth and development activities
- Deans List: Fall 2007 – Summer 2008; Summer 2009 – Summer 2011
La Universidad de San Francisco de Quito: Quito Ecuador
May 2009 – August 2009
- Study abroad and travel experience
- Classes in Andean anthropology and public relations
New York Financial Writers Association: Aug. 2013 – present
- Board member: 2014 – present
- Treasurer: 2015
Society of Professional Journalists: Feb. 2012 – present
Society of American Business Editors and Writers: Feb. 2012 – present